You can use your cPanel username and password to access all folders and files via FTP. However, if you want to create an FTP user account for a specific folder or you don’t want to allow access to your root files then you can create a separate FTP account.
Log into your cPanel account.
Filessection, click on
Under “Add FTP Account”, fill in the following details:
- Log in: FTP Username like “newuser” (without quotes and spaces)
- Password: Enter new FTP password or generate a new password by clicking on the
- Directory: If you want to give access to the entire /public_html folder, enter “public html” or change folder path to a different path like “public_html/newuser” and your FTP user will be granted access to only the “newuser” folder. Your FTP user will also be unable to access folders outside the “public_html/newuser” folder.
- Quota: Specify the quota in numerical words or select “unlimited”
Click on the
Create FTP Accountbutton.
Now you can access your FTP account by using your newly-created FTP account like:
- Host: Your website IP or enter your website name like “ftp.example.com” (replace example.com with your website address).
- Username: [email protected]
- FTP Port: 21 (Default port is 21)
- FTP Password: Your FTP Password